Sacred Heart School is a member institution of the Department of Schools, Diocese of Corpus Christi, and is a principle part of the education ministry of Sacred Heart Parish, Rockport, Texas. It is a not-for-profit PreK-5 school, serving students ages 3 years through the fifth grade.
Sacred Heart School was founded in 1923 in a small one-room building where classes were taught by the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament Sisters of Corpus Christi. Although closed for a time during the 60's and 70's, in 1982 the school was reopened and enlarged under the direction of the late Fr. Gregory 'Rory' Deane. The present facility was extensively remodeled and expanded in 1996-97 under Monsignor Louis Kihneman III. Under the current direction of Fr. Ray Yrlas, Sacred Heart Church and Parish, the Knights of Columbus Council 8028, Columbian and Gregory Ladies have all played instrumental roles in the re-establishment and continued growth of this progressive Catholic institution.
The 1993-94 academic year marked the inauguration of the School’s highly acclaimed Primary Montessori instruction program for 3, 4, and 5 year olds followed by the addition of a traditional Kindergarten program for 5-year olds in 2014. A fully-accredited elementary classroom setting and curriculum continues to challenge students in grades one through five.